What if…..your parents said you needed to move out of home! But, you got to move into your own “Teenage Studio”. This workshop focuses on the Numeracy skills that students need to design and budget for their own Teenager studio!
This program covers all areas of the Foundation Maths units and makes a great addition that has a real purpose and application using mathematical concepts. The program allows for students to develop confidence and skills in areas of maths such as: Number, Measurement and Finance. Students use 3D software tools to develop a real-life, relevant and personal plan for a teenage studio. Using 3D software, student will need to plan, measure, develop, budget and build a 3D representation of their own teenage studio.
- practice mathematics skills,on MathSpace (optional-free licence),
- learn 3D CAD skills and use interactive exercises, at KIOSC and (on the KIOSC LMS), and
- utilise spreadsheets to monitor costs and remain within budget
The program is divided into different sections where information is scaffolded for students to be able to learn a skill/task and then apply it to their own design.
- Foundations (concrete slab) – measuring and calculating the volume of a rectangular prims, percentage calculations, budgeting and financial calculations
- External walling with bricks – measuring and calculating the area of a rectangle, percentage calculations, budgeting and financial calculations
- Internal walling with plaster – unit conversions (mm, cm, m), measuring and calculating the area of a rectangle, budgeting and financial calculations
- Flooring – measuring and calculating the area of a rectangle, measuring and calculating total perimeter of a complex shape, budgeting and financial calculations
- Internal furnishings – percentage calculations, budgeting and financial calculations (e.g. best buys)
The unit has both pre and post work elements, but the purpose of the one day workshop is for students to learn how the measure and scale in a 3D world. Elements of their design will be 3D printed for them to take home (or delivered to the school).
VCAL teachers can use this concept for additional assessments, such as an oral presentation of their designed product.
Foundation Mathematics: Unit 1 and 2
- AOS1: Space, Shape and Design
- AOS2: Patterns and Number
- AOS3: Data
- AOS4: Measurement