Bees with Backpack Design Challenge
This design challenge enables students explore the issue of bees and food security and to create and promote bee friendly environments.
The CSIRO + Tech Schools Design Challenge is supported with a comprehensive learning program co-designed by Tech Schools, CSIRO’s Data61 team and local beekeepers.
Students will learn about the science of bees and bee colonies, environmental factors that affect hive health and discover CSIRO smart hive technologies. Using bee data from the CSIRO Bees with Backpacks project, students will analyse and draw conclusions about bee movements from local beehives. Working in collaborative groups, students then design a bee friendly environment and promote their innovation with a community information campaign.
All teams must produce and deliver the requirements outlined.
Each year, KIOSC runs the challenge program and so can be completed at any time. Judging will take place in November of each years. You can run the design challenge for any length of class time that you prefer and use the LMS as little or as much as you need. Once the teams get started they really do take control over their design.
As this is a challenge program, KIOSC has a suite of learning activities to support teachers through the Learning Management System. We also recommend a visit to KIOSC to help students with their technology requirements and for a special TECHSprint: Pitch and Promote. This TECHSprint enable students to be able to present their project and really ‘sell it’ for judging.
Previous Challenge Designs:
- TinkerCAD Design of a tunnel system for bees to enter and exit the hive that protects them from wind and rain.
- Planting of bee friendly gardens near hives.
- Water access – students designed rock pools so bees could drink in shallows.
- App design to help communicate to the community on how to plant bee friendly gardens.
- Installing weather stations to transmit data so apiarists are better prepared to protect their bees.
For more information – please book.
News Article: https://www.kiosc.vic.edu.au/article/bees-with-backpacks/